Digital News

China’s Great Wall is disappearing: report

China’s Great Wall is disappearing: report BEIJING, June 29, 2015 (AFP) : Around 30 percent of China's Ming-era Great Wall has disappeared over time as adverse natural conditions and reckless human activities -- including stealing the bricks to build houses -- erode the UNESCO World Heritage site, state media reported. The Great Wall is not a single unbroken structure but stretches for thousands of kilometres in sections, from Shanhaiguan on the east coast to Jiayuguan in the windswept sands on the edge of the Gobi desert. In places it is so dilapidated that estimates of its total length vary from 9,000 to 21,000 kilometres (5,600 to 13,000 miles), depending on whether missing sections are included. Despite its length it is not, as is sometimes claimed, visible from space. Construction first begun in the third century BC, but nearly 6,300 kilometres were built in the Ming Dynasty of 1368-1644, including the much-visited sectors north of the capital Beijing. Of that, 1,962 kilometres has melted away over the centuries, the Beijing Times reported. Some of the construction weathered away, while plants growing in the walls have accelerated the decay, said the report Sunday, citing a survey last year by the Great Wall of China Society. "Even though some of the walls are built of bricks and stones, they cannot withstand the perennial exposure to wind and rain," the paper quoted Dong Yaohui, a vice president of the society, as saying. "Many towers are becoming increasingly shaky and may collapse in a …

Eight-year-old girl raped in Mahottari

Eight-year-old girl raped in Mahottari Mahottari, June 30: An eight-year-old girl was raped at Hariharpur Harinmari VDC in Mahottari district on Monday evening. The District Police Office, Mahottari, said that Matar Safi, 70, of Hariharpur Harinmari VDC-4 raped the girl from the same village. Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Lokendra Shrestha said that Matar, who was grazing his cattle in a nearby forest, raped the girl by taking her in a hut. DSP Shrestha said the alleged has been arrested and preparations are on to lodge a case on charge of a rape. Police said that the victim is receiving treatment at the District Hospital, …

At-risk settlements in quake-hit zones to be removed within 15 days

At-risk settlements in quake-hit zones to be removed within 15 days Kathmandu, June 30: The government has decided to give all the responsibilities of shifting the settlements at high risk in the earthquake-affected areas to safer places within15 days to a committee led by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Home Affairs, Bamdev Gautam. The meeting of the Council of Ministers held at the Prime Minister's official residence in Baluwatar today decided to shift the settlements of 30 different places of the quake-affected 18 districts, said Minister for Urban Development Dr Narayan Khadka. The team of the geologists and lawmakers directed the committee to shift the settlements at high risk after the site inspection of the quake-affected area based on the report it prepared. Earlier, the government had decided to give responsibilities to the Ministries of Home, Federal Affairs and Local Development, and Urban Development to transfer the citizens of the settlements that are at high risk of landslide. …

1 54 55 56